Breast Cancer Facts:
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women.
- One in every eight women in the United States develops breast cancer.
- There are many types of breast cancer that differ in their capability of spreading (metastasizing) to other body tissues.
- The causes of breast cancer are not yet fully known although a number of risk factors have been identified.
- There are many different types of breast cancer.
- Breast cancer is diagnosed with physician and self-examination of the breasts, mammograms, ultrasound testing, and biopsy. Treatment of breast cancer depends on the type of cancer and its stage (the extent of spread in the body).
According to the American Cancer society:
- Over 230,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer are diagnosed each year.
- Nearly 40,000 women are expected to die of breast cancer in 2013.
- There are over 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the United States.
- The recommendations regarding frequency and age when women should get screening mammography differ slightly between different organizations and task forces.
- Between 40 and 50 years of age, mammograms are recommended every 1 to 2 years (National Cancer Institute).
- After 50 years of age, yearly mammograms are recommended (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and U.S. (Preventive Services Task Force).
- You should discuss with your health care professional the screening frequency that he or she recommends and what guidelines they follow.
- Patients with a family history or specific risk factors might have a different screening schedule including starting screening mammograms at an earlier age.
Source: Radio One Inc.
Photo Credit: NewsOne
Also, “LIKE” my new Facebook fan page, “The Angel of Inspiration” at https://www.facebook.com/theangelofinspiration.
*You are invited to join me live on Praise 103.9-Philly Sundays 12noon-3PM and Monday through Friday 10AM-3PM or listen online at http://www.praisephilly.com!
Rest In Power: Notable Black People Who Have Died In 2023
What are the benefits of having faith?
Kierra Sheard-Kelly Announces Pregnancy: “I Am So Excited & Blessed”
Powerful Quotes to Uplift Black Men
‘Killed’: Lashawn Thompson Autopsy Results Show Inmate ‘Infested’ With Insects Died From Jail Neglect: Lawyers
10 Times Maxwell’s Music Had Us Hittin’ High Notes!
End Of An Era: 10 MTV News Moments Cemented In Black Pop Culture
11 Malcolm X Quotes That Are Still Relevant In 2023