We’re trying to get your money right here on Get Up! Mornings with Erica Campbell
Want news at your fingertips? Text “ERICA” to 52140 to join our club. (Terms and conditions)
On this week’s Money Mondays with Jini Thornton, we’re talking layoffs, buyouts, and severance packages…in other words—being out of work.
Here are some things to keep in mind if you find your employment in a bind:
- Lay Offs vs. Buyouts: If you are laid off (meaning the elimination of that position due to a company’s lack of money) from a job, you are eligible for unemployment through the government.
- Buyouts and Severances are financial incentive packages offered to encourage employees to leave a job voluntarily. In most states, taking a buyout or severance package makes one ineligible for unemployment.
- If offered a package, consider hiring an employment attorney to review and help you get the most out of your offer.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD OUR APP AND TAKE US WITH YOU ANYWHERE!
We’ve curated three commonly made mistakes, so that you don’t have to repeat them:
- Don’t immediately sign any documents
- Don’t treat your package as a “one size fits all”—consider negotiating asking for your benefits to run longer, asking for more money, or even help finding a new job (if applicable)
- Don’t forget to get your letter of recommendations prior to your last day of work.
READ MORE STORIES ON GETUPERICA.COM:
- Use Your Fun to Create Funds with Dave Anderson [LISTEN] | Money Mondays
- 3 Steps to Cure Financial Dis-ease | Money Mondays
- Money Moves to Make for 2024 | Money Monday
HEAD BACK TO GETUPERICA.COM
All About Jobs Layoffs, Buyouts & Severance Packages with Money Expert Jini Thornton was originally published on getuperica.com
What are the benefits of having faith?
Ex-Hubby Kevin Hunter Sues ‘The Wendy Williams Show’ For Wrongful Termination
Powerful Quotes to Uplift Black Men
Owners of Tony Luke’s Cheesesteak Chain Sentenced to Prison in $8M Tax Fraud Scheme
Escaped Philadelphia Teen Prisoner Shane Pryor Captured by U.S. Marshals
Report: Eagles to Hire Cowboys Former Offensive Coordinator, Kellen Moore
One Vote 2024: Urban One Launches Initiative To Empower Black Voters
Why Being Friends Helps You Stay Together | Dr. Willie Jolley