Nelson Mandela Quotes
1. Neslon Mandela Young Man of DreamsSource: 1 of 14
2. Nelson In the FightSource: 2 of 14
3. Nelson Mandela FreeSource: 3 of 14
4. Neslon Mandela- FiFA TrophySource: 4 of 14
5. Nelson Mandela In thoughtSource: 5 of 14
6. Mandela Giving A HandSource: 6 of 14
7. President Clinton & NelsonSource: 7 of 14
8. At AFC with CastroSource: 8 of 14
9. Nelson Mandela & Laila AliSource: 9 of 14
10. Neslon Mandela & Bishop Desmond TutuSource: 10 of 14
11. Nelson Mandela & Micahel JacksonSource: 11 of 14
12. Nelson Mandela The PresidentSource: 12 of 14
13. Nelson Mandela & The ObamasSource: 13 of 14
14. To Your HealthSource: 14 of 14
Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s first black president, Nobel Prize winner and anti-Apartheid icon may be gone, but is certainly not forgotten.
In recognition of “Mandela Day,” celebrated on July 18, EEW Magazine is listing 10 of our favorite quotes from the man who changed the world for the better.
Nelson Mandela International Day was launched in recognition of his birthday in 2009 via unanimous decision of the UN General Assembly. It was inspired by a call Mandela made a year earlier, for the next generation to take on the burden of leadership in addressing the world’s social injustices when he said that “it is in your hands now”.
He passed away in 2013 at his home in Johannesburg at the age of 95, but the wisdom of Madiba, as he was called by those who loved him, will live forever.
Here are our editors’ picks of the late leader’s best wise sayings.
#1 On Being Courageous: “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
#2 On Being Determined: “When people are determined they can overcome anything.
#3 On Resentment: “Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.”
#4 On Being Free: “For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”
#5 On Playing Small: “There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”