Nelson Mandela Quotes
1. Neslon Mandela Young Man of Dreams1 of 14
2. Nelson In the Fight2 of 14
3. Nelson Mandela Free3 of 14
4. Neslon Mandela- FiFA Trophy4 of 14
5. Nelson Mandela In thought5 of 14
6. Mandela Giving A Hand6 of 14
7. President Clinton & Nelson7 of 14
8. At AFC with Castro8 of 14
9. Nelson Mandela & Laila Ali9 of 14
10. Neslon Mandela & Bishop Desmond Tutu10 of 14
11. Nelson Mandela & Micahel Jackson11 of 14
12. Nelson Mandela The President12 of 14
13. Nelson Mandela & The Obamas13 of 14
14. To Your Health14 of 14
Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s first black president, Nobel Prize winner and anti-Apartheid icon may be gone, but is certainly not forgotten.
In recognition of “Mandela Day,” celebrated on July 18, EEW Magazine is listing 10 of our favorite quotes from the man who changed the world for the better.
Nelson Mandela International Day was launched in recognition of his birthday in 2009 via unanimous decision of the UN General Assembly. It was inspired by a call Mandela made a year earlier, for the next generation to take on the burden of leadership in addressing the world’s social injustices when he said that “it is in your hands now”.
He passed away in 2013 at his home in Johannesburg at the age of 95, but the wisdom of Madiba, as he was called by those who loved him, will live forever.
Here are our editors’ picks of the late leader’s best wise sayings.
#1 On Being Courageous: “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
#2 On Being Determined: “When people are determined they can overcome anything.
#3 On Resentment: “Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.”
#4 On Being Free: “For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”
#5 On Playing Small: “There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”