The late “King of Pop” Michael Jackson was born on this day back in 1958. He would have been 56 today. Jackson passed away June 25th, 2009.
Michael Jackson Facts:
Michael Jackson grew up the fifth of six brothers in Gary, Indiana.
He first rose to fame in the family group The Jackson 5. Their first four singles — “I Want You Back,” “A-B-C,” “The Love You Save” and “I’ll Be There” — all reached number-one on the Billboard Hot 100.
- His solo debut, 1979’s Off the Wall, featured the hits “Rock With You” and “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough.”
- But 1982’s Thriller made him a superstar, with such classics as the iconic title track, “Billie Jean” and “Beat It.”
- Jackson spearheaded the star-studded “We Are the World” charity single for famine relief in 1985.
- Although later albums such as 1987’s Bad and 2001’s Invincible did well, Michael never repeated the success of Thriller.
- Jackson’s behavior and appearance became more and more bizarre throughout the years. He went through two divorces — with Lisa Marie Presley and Debbie Rowe — underwent numerous plastic surgeries, appeared to have bleached his skin (though he said it was a result of a genetic disorder) and was tried and acquitted of child molestation.
- While preparing for his comeback concert series This Is It, Jackson died of cardiac arrest on June 25th, 2009 after collapsing at home in Los Angeles. His death was ruled a homicide, and his personal physician was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for administering the anesthetic propofol and then trying to cover it up.
- Michael’s death triggered a global outpouring of grief and a live broadcast of his public memorial service was viewed around the world.
- After his death, Jackson became the best-selling albums artist of 2009.
- He sold over 8.2 million albums in the United States, and a total of 35 million albums worldwide, in the 12 months that followed his death.
Fast Facts About Michael Jackson:
- Thriller has gone 29 times platinum and is the best-selling album in history.
- Thriller spent 37 straight weeks at number-one.
- In 1984, Jackson won a record eight Grammys.
- Jackson won a total of 19 Grammys in his career.
- Jackson holds 14 Guinness World Records.
- Jackson had nine platinum singles and 16 gold singles in the U.S.
- Jackson had 13 number-one singles in the U.S.
- Jackson had 28 Top 10 hits in the U.S.
- Jackson has three albums in the Grammy Hall of Fame — I Want You Back, Thriller and Off the Wall.
- Jackson’s “Billie Jean” was the first video by a black artist to be shown regularly on MTV.
- Jackson has sold more than 70 million albums in the U.S. and more than 750 million records worldwide.
“Like” me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/theangelofinspiration or follow me on Twitter @cecemcghee. Plus, sign up for your Daily Faith Lift™ by joining my text club. Text the keyword CeCe to 37890.