President Donald Trump’s proposal to release detained undocumented immigrants into so-called sanctuary cities, categorically dismissed by the administration days ago, inched closer to reality on Sunday, with White House officials confirming that the controversial plan was back under consideration and urging immediate action in response to a surge of Central American migrants at the southern border.
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the administration was “looking to see if there are options that make” Trump’s proposal legally viable, and described it as “an option on the table.”
“Certainly this wouldn’t be our first choice, because ideally we wouldn’t be dealing with the massive influx of illegal immigrants coming across the border,” Sanders told host George Stephanopoulos on ABC’s “This Week.”
“The president likes the idea, and Democrats have said they want these individuals into their communities,” she said. “So let’s see if it works and everybody gets a win out of it.”
Sanders’ acknowledgment that administration officials are revisiting the proposal follows denials from The White House and Department of Homeland Security to The Washington Post late last week that the idea was still under discussion.