For the past five presidential inaugurations, it’s been a tradition for D.C. marching bands to perform during the ceremony. In January, President-elect Donald Trump may have to do without a local band because not one has applied to be a part of his inaugural parade, reports CBS D.C.
A spokeswoman for D.C. public schools said no local band applied to perform at the inauguration slated to take place on January 20. Some schools cite budget restrictions and others said that they didn’t have enough band members. Many remained silent about why they decided to sit this inauguration out.
Howard University’s marching band performed at President Obama’s first inaugural parade. The university has decided to opt out this year.
“I think everybody knows why and no one wants to say and lose their job,” Howard’s band director John Newson told CBS D.C.
Bands in the D.C.-area aren’t the only ones that have decided to skip the inaugural parade. According to NBC Washington, bands in neighboring counties,including Prince George’s County and Arlington County have chosen not to apply. Trump’s inaugural committee can select other musicians to perform at the ceremony.
Does any of this surprise you? Sound off in comments.
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
DC Marching Bands Will Not Perform At Trump Inauguration was originally published on newsone.com