A New Jersey Transit train crashed at a Hoboken station on Thursday morning, killing at least one person and injuring about 100 others, NBC News reports.
A senior transportation official said about the commuter train accident, “There are fatalities. There are a significant number of injuries. The train was going very fast. There are structural concerns about the facility.” According to reports, the train went over the bumper block, through the depot, and came to rest at the wall right before the station’s waiting area.
A spokesman for New Jersey Transit confirmed that there were “multiple critical injuries” when the train struck the Hoboken Terminal building on Track 5 around 8:45 a.m. on Thursday. The train was No. 1614, a Pascack Valley line train traveling from Spring Valley to Hoboken. Witnesses say they saw a bunch of bruised and bloodied passengers, including one woman pinned underneath concrete.
In a statement to MSNBC, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said that at least one person was killed and all victims from inside the station were removed during the morning. A Care Point Health employee said that 16 patients were taken to Hoboken University Medical Center, and at least one to Christ Hospital in Jersey City.
Jersey City Medical Center said it was treating over 50 patients, including three who were in serious condition with orthopedic injuries and deep lacerations. The investigation is still in its preliminary stages, but law enforcement officials say there was no initial sign of terrorism or that the accident was a deliberate act.
We’ll keep you posted on the latest.
Watch one woman describe how her everyday commute turned into a horrible tragedy in the video above.
SOURCE: NBC News | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, ABC
Remembering Greatness: The Celebrity Deaths Of 2016
1. Rapper Shawty Lo died in a fiery Atlanta car crash on the morning of Sept. 21.Source:Getty 1 of 14
2. Sportscaster John Saunders passed away suddenly at the age of 61 on Aug. 10. The details surrounding his passing are still unclear.Source:Getty 2 of 14
3. Actor Gene Wilder, best known for his role in 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,' died on Aug. 29 from Alzheimer's disease.Source:Getty 3 of 14
4. Legendary boxer Muhammad Ali passed away on June 3 after a 32-year battle with Parkinson's.Source:Getty 4 of 14
5. Actor Anton Yelchin, best known for his role as Chekov in 'Star Wars,' passed away minutes after a June 19 car accident.Source:Getty 5 of 14
6. Actor Ron Lester died on Aug. 4 of kidney failure. He was best known for his role in 'Not Another Teen Movie.'Source:Getty 6 of 14
7. 'The Voice' star Christina Grimmie was shot dead at 22 years old by a man who opened fire on her while she signed autographs.Source:Getty 7 of 14
8. Legendary singer Prince tragically died from an accidental prescription drug overdose on April 21. He was 57-years-old.Source:Getty 8 of 14
9. WWF wrestler and actress Chyna died from an accidental overdose of Valium and Ambien on April 20. She was 45 years old.Source:Getty 9 of 14
10. 'Blood, Sweat, & Heels' reality star Daisy Lewellyn died from a rare form of liver cancer on April 8.Source:Getty 10 of 14
11. Singer Denise Matthews, aka Vanity, died from kidney failure at the age of 57 on Feb. 15. She was Prince's protegée and ex-girlfriend.Source:Getty 11 of 14
12. Singer Maurice White passed away on Feb. 3 after battling Parkinson's disease. He was the founder of R&B group Earth, Wind, & Fire.Source:Getty 12 of 14
13. Rock star David Bowie died on Jan. 10 after battling cancer for 18 months. He was 69.Source:Getty 13 of 14
14. A Tribe Called Quest rapper Phife Dawg passed away on March 22 due to complications from diabetes. He was 45 years old.Source:Getty 14 of 14
Heartbreaking Video Of A Survivor From The Train Crash In Hoboken, New Jersey was originally published on globalgrind.com