It was a summit on the “United State of Women,” but Michelle Obama had advice for the men in the audience: Be better.
“Be better at everything. Be better fathers,” she said during a conversation with one-time talk-show host Oprah Winfrey. “Just being good fathers who love your daughters and are providing a solid example of what it means to be a good man in the world. That is the greatest gift that the men in my life gave to me.”
She urged the men who were among the estimated 5,000 people who attended the daylong, White House-organized conference to be part of their family’s lives, to do the dishes and not “babysit” their children.
“Be engaged. Don’t just think going to work and coming home makes you a man,” Mrs. Obama said.
“Be better. Just be better. I could go on, but I’m not. You get the point, fellas,” she said.
A Look Back: Michelle Obama’s Best Looks At Past State Of The Union Addresses
1. The State Of The Union Address In 2009.Source:Getty 1 of 8
2. The State Of The Union Address In 2010.Source:Getty 2 of 8
3. The State Of The Union Address In 2011.Source:Getty 3 of 8
4. The State Of The Union Address in 2012.Source:Getty 4 of 8
5. The State Of The Union Address In 2013.Source:Getty 5 of 8
6. State Of The Union Address in 2014.Source:Getty 6 of 8
7. State Of The Union Address 2015.Source:Getty 7 of 8
8. Michelle Obama 2016.8 of 8