Philip’s preaching in Samaria is the first true delivery of Christ’s words to the masses. According to the bible Samaritans were considered unclean and held in low regard. Jesus’s encounter with a Samaritan woman at the well was considered shocking amongst the community. His ministry to the woman left her breathless. Therefore Phillip’s entry into Samaritan territory to “Preach The Way” was a moment in time they never thought would come.
4 Those who had been scattered preached the word wherever they went. 5 Philip went down to a city in Samaria and proclaimed the Messiah there. 6 When the crowds heard Philip and saw the signs he performed, they all paid close attention to what he said. 7 For with shrieks, impure spirits came out of many, and many who were paralyzed or lame were healed. 8 So there was great joy in that city.
9 Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, 10 and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, “This man is rightly called the Great Power of God.” 11 They followed him because he had amazed them for a long time with his sorcery. 12 But when they believed Philip as he proclaimed the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.13 Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw.
14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God,they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money 19 and said, “Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”
20 Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! 21 You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God. 22 Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord in the hope that he may forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. 23 For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin.”
24 Then Simon answered, “Pray to the Lord for me so that nothing you have said may happen to me.”
25 After they had further proclaimed the word of the Lord and testified about Jesus, Peter and John returned to Jerusalem, preaching the gospel in many Samaritan villages.
Many of the Samaritans were under the spell of this satanic deceiver, Simon, often called Simon Magus.A true prophet will direct the glory to God and will encourage people to submit to God’s Word. A false prophet, like Simon, will receive the glory for himself and will not direct people into holy living. But even where there is strong demonic influence over people, God and the power of His gospel is stronger.
We should not fear to proclaim it even to those who are blatantly under Satan’s power.
Make sure to read these guides:
- A.D. The Bible Continues Commands: “‘In The Name Of Jesus, Son of God, I Release You…”
- A.D. The Bible Continues Episode 6 ‘The Persecution’ Bible Guide
- A.D. The Bible Continues Episode 5 ‘The First Martyr’ Bible Guide
- A. D. The Bible Continues Episode 4 ‘The Wrath’ Bible Guide’
- A.D.The Bible Continues- Episode 3 ‘The Spirit Arrives’ Bible Guide
- A.D.The Bible Continues- Episode 2 ‘The Body Is Gone’ Bible Guide
- A.D.The Bible Continues- Episode 1 ‘The Tomb Is Open Bible Guide’
The History Channel The Bible Replay In Pictures
1. AdamSource: 1 of 30
2. EveSource: 2 of 30
3. The FallSource: 3 of 30
4. Abraham Follows OrdersSource: 4 of 30
5. Moses LeadsSource: 5 of 30
6. The PlotSource: 6 of 30
7. Rahab PlansSource: 7 of 30
8. Joshua Leads The BattleSource: 8 of 30
9. Samson and his MotherSource: 9 of 30
10. Samson fightsSource: 10 of 30
11. Delilah Cuts Samson's hairSource: 11 of 30
12. King Saul during the Good DaysSource: 12 of 30
13. David Beats GoliathSource: 13 of 30
14. King Saul faces the emptinessSource: 14 of 30
15. david-with-bathshebaSource: 15 of 30
16. BathshebaSource: 16 of 30
17. King ZedekiahSource: 17 of 30
18. Facing BablyonSource: 18 of 30
19. Daniel Faces The Lion's DenSource: 19 of 30
20. Mary & Joseph flee to EgyptSource: 20 of 30
21. Jesus baptized by John the BaptistSource: 21 of 30
22. Peter the FishermanSource: 22 of 30
23. Jesus walks on waterSource: 23 of 30
24. Jesus and his followersSource: 24 of 30
25. The Last SupperSource: 25 of 30
26. Mary stands alone.Source: 26 of 30
27. Jesus and Mary meet on the road to GolgothaSource: 27 of 30
28. The CrossSource: 28 of 30
29. Jesus Makes All Things NewSource: 29 of 30
30. The Ministry Continues With YouSource: 30 of 30
A.D. The Bible Continues Episode 7 “The Visit” Bible Guide was originally published on elev8.com