Tensions in Akron are raised this week as a grand jury ponders the decision of whether or not criminal charges should be filed against the eight police officers involved in the death of Jayland Walker.
Last June, Walker was being pursued by police when they report he fired a gunshot. The report further explains that when Walker finally stopped there was a gun on the passenger seat, though FOX 8 reports that he was described as “unarmed” by investigators.
Walker was then shot 46 times.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
While many are mentally preparing for the grand jury’s decision, a special group of Akron residents is gathering to “pray for peace” in the city. They call themselves “Love Akron”, and they hope to quell the potential unrest that could be on its way.
From FOX 8:
“Jesus, we believe that you love the city more than you could,” one person could be heard praying, while holding a fence in front of the Summit County Courthouse.
“We’re praying first for comfort and peace for the Walker family, that’s first and foremost. We don’t ever want to forget the reason that we’re here, but also we’re praying for the leadership of our city, from the mayor to council to the grand jury,” said Pastor R. Stacey Jenkins, senior pastor of House of Prayer for All People.
To see the entire FOX 8 report, [click here].
After Walker’s death, there were protests across downtown Akron, peaceful and otherwise. In preparation for what could be to come, several businesses, including the street level of Akron’s city hall, have boarded up their windows.
With no timetable for how long the grand jury could take to reach its decision, officials are hopeful that we’ll all know something within the next week or so.
- Strive To Be Great | Dr. Willie Jolley
- Airlines Keep Accusing Parents Of Biracial Kids Of Trafficking Their Own Children
- New Orleans Preps For The Worst As Drinking Water Faces New Threat
- PuffCo Founder Roger Volodarsky Talks PuffCon, The Future Of Cannabis & More
- Tony! Toni! Tone! Talk New Tour, Upcoming Album & Reuniting After 25 Years
- TV Shows Like ‘Abbott Elementary’ & ‘Run the World’ Were Affected By The 2023 Writers Strike
- Nia Long Slams Boston Celtics For The Lack Of Sensitivity On Ime Udoka Scandal
- Usher Almost Serenaded Gabrielle Union At His Paris Concert, But No “Smoke” With Dwyane Wade
- BET & Mass Appeal Debut ‘Welcome To Rap City’ Doc
- EU Blames Elon Musk’s X For Russian Disinformation Spike
Akron Residents ‘Pray For Peace’ Ahead of Jayland Walker Decision was originally published on wzakcleveland.com
Social Media Trolls Jada Pinkett Smith Posting Throwback Video of Tupac Dancing to A Fresh Prince Song
What are the benefits of having faith?
NFL Confirms Usher To Headline Super Bowl LVIII In Las Vegas
Temple’s Acting President, JoAnne A. Epps, Has Died at age 72
Viral Philadelphia Influencer ‘Meatball’ Has Been Arrested For Inciting A Riot
Flight attendant Found Dead with Cloth in Mouth at Philadelphia Airport Marriott
Rudy Giuliani Says He Left 9/11 Memorial Ceremony Early Because Kamala Harris Was There
[VIDEO] Undefeated MMA Fighter Gets Carjacked in Philly While Delivering Uber Eats