Many Americans expect the economy to worsen over the next year! Spending patterns reveal a buckling-down and cutting-back mentality, possibly in preparation for hard times ahead. The poll found 67% of Americans have started purchasing more generic brands to save money, up from 60% in February and the highest number since polling on the subject began two years ago. Other findings include:
- 46% of people are bringing their lunch to work in an effort to save money.
- 39% of people are reusing water bottles rather than purchasing bottled water, the highest since June 2009.
- 43% of Americans are going to the hairstylist or barber less often to save money.
- 31% have canceled one or more magazine subscriptions.
- 22% of adults have cut back on cable TV service.
- 18% have canceled a newspaper subscription.
- Nearly 24% have cut back on dry cleaning.
- 21% have stopped purchasing coffee in the morning.
- 14% are carpooling or using mass transit now.
Source: Harris Poll